Saturday, October 18, 2014

Twenty One Questions with Matt Starr, Drummer.

Jamie-MOTG and Matt circa 2001
When a friend meets with success and happiness from years of passionate hard work and creativity it's a beautiful thing. I cannot deny, however, that I miss those old days. As far back as Run 21. Dive bars, one light bulb suspended from the ceiling. Seeing Matt and company play at backwoods joints like "Shitrocks" or "The Achesore" filled my cranium with laughs and great memories.FLAMES CD Release Party 1999. Before his move to L.A. and that moustache, he was our star. From behind the kit or singing and playing guitar, writing and recording, performing, or just hanging out, Matt always had his next move brewing.

Cat Woman and Matt 


Matt is a real renaissance man. Drummer, singer, songwriter, producer, designer, businessman, vinyl aficionado, cigar lover, family man, friend. From his love of Dali to his Vistalite drums, Matt's got a style and finesse that flavors whatever he does with just the right amount of awesome. And, he's funny.

Matt on drums with Ace Frehley, Matt... how was that sunburn?

It is truly no surprise then, that Matt has spent the past couple of years filling up his passport with stamps form all over the globe, touring and recording with Ace Frehley, Love/Hate, and Burning Rain. Matt's roster includes past tours with Kevin Dubrow of Quiet Riot, writing with Beautiful Creatures and fronting his own band Automatic Music Explosion as singer and guitarist. Matt formed Hookers and Blow with Dizzy Reed (Guns N' Roses) and current Quiet Riot guitarist Alex Grossi whose debut album 'The Return To Psycho, California' with Hotel Diablo was produced by Matt & Gilby Clarke.


Matt has been a guest drummer at The Great Bonzo Bash and The Ox and The Loon. 

If that wasn't enough, Matt is currently sitting in on the Mr. Big tour in support of their new album. Check out some videos from the sold out opening night gig filmed by "forgottonglory" on you tube here Mr. Big opening night at KOKO! Additionally, in Matt's spare time, he can teach you how to play the drums via skype!

All this success has not gone to his head, Matt is grateful, kind and professional.

How does a Starr stay grounded? Let's find out.  I sat down for an interview with Matt, well, sort of. I was sitting in my bed in CT and he was in London, gotta love technology. As promised as a follow up to my very first blog post Matt Starr Drums I give you;

                    TWENTY ONE QUESTIONS with Matt Starr!
                                      Because like in Spinal Tap, we go one louder.


1. MOTG: I read your blog  in Modern Drummer , and you mention unwinding, literally, with yoga. Is that part of your regular routine?

MS: Not as much as I’d like. I always feel so much better afterwards but it seems like I only do it when my back is totally wrenched from trains, planes & automobiles.

2. MOTG; At your drum clinic you spoke about humility, respect, networking and staying positive. You have always been a pretty fun and positive guy, has taking the positive thinking mantra more seriously influenced your life and work?

MS: For sure. There is only “Yes”, there is only Light, there is only “Positive”. The opposites are just a lack of those things, they are nothing unto themselves. They are death.

3. MOTG: Regarding the past, you cut your teeth on four tracks and cassettes. Have you come to embrace the digital era? Lord knows...I have not, I still have an analog phone.

MS: Sure! I love the fact that I can load the songs for say the Mr Big tour into my phone & learn them where ever I am. Or have thousands of songs on my hard drive to take on tour. But I do also bring a turntable on the road. If I just want to sit & enjoy music I prefer vinyl, MP3’s sound like shit.

4. MOTG: Being a vinyl collector and fan, is the new Ace Frehley release you recorded on available on vinyl?

MS: Yes it is. HERE

5. MOTG: How many records (vinyl) do you own?

MS: 2100+

6. MOTG: What is the first album, or cassette, or 8 track, you bought with your own money. Mine was Aerosmith Double Live Bootleg. I got it at Caldor.

MS: Nice! With my own money, may have been Whitesnake, “Slide It In”…… at Caldor.

7. MOTG: What are your top five most prized vinyl treasures?

MS: DCC Pressing of “Pet Sounds”, KISS “Alive!” Signed by Eddie Kramer, A bootleg copy of Beach Boys “Smile” that I got in Japan in 1999, White Label Promo of the first Montrose LP, First pressing of Roy Orbison’s Greatest Hits on Monument Records.

8. MOTG: Sweet! What is your favorite Rock and Roll film. I love Song Remains the Same but I think....The Kids are Alright is my fave.

MS: Head by The Monkees, Spinal Tap, followed by Let There Be Rock (AC/DC)

9. MOTG: Is filming something you might like to dabble in one day? Directing videos perhaps, documenting, etc.. you know, in your spare time.

MS: I don’t know, I think that’s a huge undertaking. I’m not sure I have enough passion for it to see it through. Although I do love film. I like taking pictures.

10. MOTG: Alright, I have to know about the Moustache. What was the inspiration? Was there an inspiration?

MS: Halloween 2011, I drew one on as a joke and then when I saw the pictures from that nite, I liked him better than me.

MOTG: Hmmm... maybe I should have kept mine, here I am on Halloween Circa
2003



11. MOTG: Your Dr. Starr T shirts are phenomenal, I own a few. You designed them? Here is me rocking one with The Darkness!

MS: Thanks! Yes, I was on tour with an all star band and everyone had merch except me. It made me realize people want to connect and have something from the musicians they like and that I was losing a lot of money.

12. MOTG: Regarding merchandise, is it your experience that the sales of merchandise and tickets is now the driving revenue for musicians as opposed to music sales?

MS: Yes, that & music placement.

13. MOTG: With that in mind, do you have any plans on the table for more Dr. Starr items, hats, scarves, drum cozies?

MS: Hmmmm…not sure but those are some good ideas.

14. MOTG: You are multi talented and your songwriting is top notch. One of my all time faves is 1963. I felt The Flames were before their time, stuck in a weird time warp between Cheap Trick and The Darkness with that pop rock positive fun post punk feel and vibe. Great lyrics, catchy hooks. Are you doing any writing now?

MS: I haven’t in over a year. It’s sort of surprising because it was such a part of my life for so long, but I’m sure I’ll return to it eventually. I don’t think I have much to say right now.

15. MOTG: Where can I get my hands on a copy of 'I Cheated on You' (original version) and '1963'? Hint Hint

MS: You tell me!

16. MOTG: Though I love you as a front man and guitarist, you seem to have really brought the spotlight behind the kit with you. Your personality shines right through those clear Vistalites. Do you miss being out in front?

MS: Not really. It’s something I can always go back to, but right now I’m happy sitting down!

17. MOTG: I love it when you come home (back east) and sit in with the locals. One night, after explaining to a fellow musician friend who you were, he said, "he just played the shit outta those drums." How does it feel to come back? It is great that you celebrate your roots and the folks that taught you so much.

MS: It’s nice to visit with the people I grew up with & talk about things. It’s fun to share stories about my experiences too. I have a lot of great friends back east. But if I stay too long I get reminded why I left.

18. MOTG: Will there ever be a Flames reunion?

MS: Who knows, that would be fun.

19. MOTG: Where is the picture we drew of Tanya as a cat?

MS: In the Hartford dump. That was amazing!

20. MOTG: Ever think of relocating or is LA the best location for you?

MS: I love LA. I would like to buy a house in CT too but we’re staying here.

21. MOTG: When will you be in town again, because we all miss and love you!?

MS: Looks like there will be a Mr Big show in NYC in Feb 2015!


And there you have it! To learn more about Matt Starr, pick up some Dr. Starr's Mustache Tonic gear, check out some great videos and hear some rockin tunes, head on over to MattStarrMusic.com!

Rock On! ~Jamie

Post Script: I forgot to ask Matt what kind of gum he chomps on because CLEARLY he should be gettin' an endorsement deal. ALWAYS with the gum!




No comments:

Post a Comment