Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Have personality, will travel.

What is a rock mom to do? Oh the trappings of society, woe to the misfit so alone. I have read some other blogs of late, ladies and gents blathering on about all sorts of nonsense, so I figured I'd join in and rap about things that I love, mainly music. Recently, well about 2 years ago, my love...rather my burning passion for The Darkness was rekindled when they toured and recorded a new album. I was the giddy attendee at 5 shows last year, meeting and greeting Justin Hawkins and company and I dare say it was the highlight of my past ten years on this planet. I was asked, by a rather close friend..."What is the big deal, why are you so into The Darkness?" Now being that this person is also a musician, AND an Aries, I was surprised he felt the need to ask.  But I laid it down to him like this..

The Darkness makes me happy. Period. When I am at a Darkness gig, there is no doubt in my mind about what I am doing.  I am in paradise, I am in love. I am in love with the band, the songs, the crowd, the strangers, the new friends.  I still lose sleep in anticipation and have knots in my stomach upon very early arrival at a gig. OH TOUR BUS HOW I WORSHIP THEE.  You know how kids get all excited when they see Santa at the mall, when they are like 5 years old? Like they are all hopped up on sugar plum fairies dancing in their heads? That's me.  all 47 years of me, before a Darkness show.

The Darkness just get it.  They are smart and funny and awesome, lovely, loud, rocking, manly men who do what they do and love what they do and it shows. I have seen them play in front of a crowd of 3000 and a crowd of maybe 700, always giving 110 percent. But enough about them, for now.  This is about me and the question, why? Why not. Why the fuck not. In a day where concert tickets can cost a full weeks salary or more, spending a mere 30 bucks to see The Darkness feels like an injustice is being committed against the band, who are here form the UK, flying and driving all over the place just to make me happy...at least that is how it feels. this is PRICELESS I think to myself thirty dollars? Well now I can afford to fly to Denver! It is as though The Darkness are there for you, the crowd, to be one with you, sing with you, dance with you, a communal vibe like none other I have seen and baby I have seen over like 500 concerts of all shapes and size.

People love sports of all kinds and they spend an insane amount of time and money to get that vibe, the same one I get when I see The Darkness. I don't hear many people questioning the motives of insane football fans or even UCONN fans, or god forbid baseball fans.  What is involved in a day at the ball park these days? Do you get to see anything like this?

I didn't think so...


I'll take my bands, my music and rock until I drop. Yeah, I just ripped off Def Leppard a bit. Oh you want to hear my Def Leppard story? Maybe tomorrow kids, I have to go water the garden. But before I go I will leave you with this. Oh and one more thing, The Darkness are recording a new album as we speak and you know what that means.. SUGAR PLUM FAIRIES!





No comments:

Post a Comment